Sunday, February 10, 2013

Walmart Situation/Parking Tips

The same information can be found at:
https://sites.google.com/site/shoheisoahutips/walmart-situation-parking-tips

First off, let me clarify that by writing about this topic, I am in no way encouraging people to shop at WalMart.  I encourage people to shop at locally owned stores that sell locally produced goods to support the Hawaiian economy.

So, having said that, we've all been to the Honolulu WalMart on Keeaumoku at one time or another.  Getting to the store, and finding parking can be frustrating since the store attracts tourists and locals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  From what I've heard, this particular WalMart is one of the busiest WalMarts in the United States.  I don’t find that surprising because the parking is horrible, and there is always a crowd at the register.  The locals shop here for the low prices, but I used to avoid going to the store because the traffic into the store was bad, and the parking was really bad, and the couple bucks I saved was not worth the pain and suffering I had to endure.

I have found that trying to park on the first floor is a nightmare.  The second floor parking is much better and smoother all around.  The problem is most people don’t even know that there are in fact 4 levels of parking at the WalMart parking structure.

The entrance to the second and third level parking is on the Sheridan St side of WalMart.  All of the tourists go through the Keeaumoku side, so avoid that side of WalMart, and you should be fine.  WalMart occupies almost a whole city block, so if you are on Keeaumoku, turn on either Rycroft or Makaloa St towards WalMart.  Then, turn on to Sheridan towards WalMart.  When you get to the Sheridan side of WalMart, turn in to the entrance that is closer to Makaloa (south side.)

Here’s a video because a video is worth 10,000 words if not more.  It starts on Keeaumoku going south towards WalMart.  I make a right on Rycroft and a left on to Sheridan to get to the entrance:


As a side note, if you are on Makaloa, there is conveniently a ramp that nobody uses that takes you all the way up to the 3rd floor to Sam’s Club, so that is a nice option as well.

I really hope this helps because I wasted a lot of time in the first floor parking lot.  I hope that just knowing about this other entrance will help ease some of the pain for you. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment